Sunday 17 September 2017

Emmys 2017: The shows I'm rooting for

The Emmy's host for this year aka Stephen Colbert aka Late Night star
IT'S THE EMMY'S TONIGHT aka the Oscars of TV (or US TV at least). I am extremely excited about the awards this year, because there are shows that I have actually watched that are nominated for awards! 

So I thought it would be fun to write about the shows I am supporting, and actors that I really want to win awards.

I won't be doing it category-by-category because there are a lot of awards, and in some I do not have any show or actor to support.

Let the showering of TV fan praise commence:

The Crown
This one has to go first because it is up for the most awards, and has the best chance of a big win, with five major nominations.
It's basically a shoe-in for John Lithgow to win Best Supporting Actor in a Drama, because his performance as Winston Churchill was stellar, so this is their best shot. Claire Foy is also in with a shot for Best Actress due to her Golden Globes win, but I am a bit conflicted on this one as there is another actress I am rooting for which I shall get to momentarily. 
I loved The Crown, and it's one of a lot of 'new' shows getting nominations, instead of the repeat winners. But it is a very 'critic-friendly' show, which could help it get a win! 

Sherlock
OK so now my TV fangirl is showing a bit. Sherlock is just one of those shows that I love regardless and I will root for in any awards show.
It has won nine awards in previous years, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman winning in 2014 after the third series. Although neither were there to accept so they better be there tonight, especially since it looks like Sherlock will not be returning to our TVs. Or at least have Steven Moffat there, he gives really nice acceptance speeches.
This year it is up for two major awards and two technical ones, so it has a decent chance for a win. One episode is classified as a 'TV movie' making it a cut above some other TV movies! Fingers crossed!

Stranger Things
I am seriously rooting for the Netflix brigade this year! I love Stranger Things (Season 2 needs to hurry up!) and its been a bit of a surprise in the awards circuit. It's up for four major awards, including Best Drama, and has had Golden Globe nominations and won the SAG as well (shoutout to Winona Ryder's facial expressions during that speech!). 
I'm already eager to see the kids walking the red carpet together, and if this show wins it will be so huge for supernatural shows in terms of their awards pedigree!

Viola Davis
Because Viola Davis! She is one of the best actresses working in the business, and she has an Oscar already! She has won the Emmy before, but the past season of How to Get Away with Murder was so good I think that she can win again! She is a total badass! But Best Actress in a Drama is a very strong category so it could go to anyone. The Handmaids Tale is a bit a of a force to be reckoned with this year. Fingers crossed!

So who's going to win? Who knows? There are very few repeat noms this year, so it's been made wide open. We shall see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment