Sunday 24 September 2017

Victoria Series 2 Episode 5 Review: Entente Cordiale

Yes another Victoria review! And it was a happy episode, much less soapy angst this week that I very much enjoyed!

I think I've happily entered a stage of ignorance as to how historically inaccurate the show is at this point. I know people moan that it's a bit out of order, but I don't care, because it's not like we are watching Victoria in 2017 getting Ubers to France and taking phone snaps of Albert in the lake.

So while it was nice to see Victoria meet foreign sovereigns and try to establish international relations, the main thing I enjoyed about the episode was the fact they were in France! It's so different to England in so many ways, but also it felt more like today. Girls being catty about Her Majesty, wearing makeup, and getting busy with Ernest in the hedges, it was like watching a reality show!

I'm glad they have not dragged out Albert's father storyline, because it was a real downer, and made the character a bit of a downer. Seeing Victoria accept him in that way, was probably a bit TV-esque, but touching all the same. Tom Hughes and Jenna Coleman have the best chemistry.

And I can't skim over the skinny dipping scene, because it was skinny dipping and it was funny and a bit random but I still loved it.

Also I felt really sorry for Miss Cook, because she blatantly had feelings for Ernest, and he's off doing dalliances with the French ladies. She looked so upset! I don't like that she's so heavily belittled by her aunt. Hopefully she will have a spine by the end of the series, and if she gives some epic speech, I will go all Braveheart and shout FREEDOM!

Was I surprised their trip was all for nothing?! Not really. It keeps things interesting in TV-land, and I don't actually know how much of that is history, so as I previous mentioned, blissful ignorance!

I'm happy to watch a lighter episode, which is back up in the levels of the first episode in terms of quality. Once more unto the breach onto next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment